Whether or not you like the song, there's a few good points for FitPros to pick up and implement if you listen critically.
There are lessons everywhere if you're open to learning after all!
KW’s FitPro Tip #1: Know Your Customer and What Motivates Them
Kanye’s first verse sums up what we know best about goal setting and motivation. Check out this handy color-coded graphic for some more detail.
- Timely (Blue): The T in our SMART Goals acronym stands for timely. Keep a time frame in mind even if someone has a large goal. Setting mini bench marks and check-in points will be great motivation. Kanye is talking about getting right for the summer - I've heard that one before…
- Expectations (Green): Don’t underestimate the importance of clear directions. WRITE DOWN exactly what you’d like your clients to do and don’t assume they know anything.
- Real Why (Red): Kanye knows the ladies he’s targeting have one thing in mind - finding a dude that gets paid. He’s not afraid to remind them of their Real Why in plain English either.
- Needs v. Wants (Orange): Lastly, you have to give clients a mixture of what you think they need and what they want. It’s not selling out, it’s a compromise. We know most people need a more posterior chain focused program with tons of mobility, but they just want to get rid of their gut like Kanye’s fictitious client. He starts her off with core work because that probably makes her happy (and is still very beneficial) then works in other things later in the song … some questionable methods maybe but that’s another blog post entirely.
Client testimonials are GOLD. Your client’s love you I’m sure so get them talking. Bonus Tip: Think Visuals. Before and After Transformations and Video testimonials can be extremely powerful. Kanye's customers seem satisfied. Based on their comments, I know I'd be interested in hearing his pitch at the very least!
I think a lot of trainers get overwhelmed with writing the perfect programs. They end up trying to reinvent the wheel with the exercise selection. In turn, they overwhelm the client with meal plans that are impossible to stick with and circus-trick type movements they aren't ready for. Kanye really breaks it down with his plan:
- - Do Work. Period.
- - Move your ass (a lot)
- - More protein and veggies; Less junk
- - Bring it back to the Real Why
KW’s FitTip #4: Self-serving Self-promotion
No one loves Kanye more than Kanye. That's a fact.
Get Kanye-level confidence or at least fake it till you make it. How?
It ain't braggin’ if you can back it up, baby!!